ChiliProject is not maintained anymore. Please be advised that there will be no more updates.
We do not recommend that you setup new ChiliProject instances and we urge all existing users to migrate their data to a maintained system, e.g. Redmine. We will provide a migration script later. In the meantime, you can use the instructions by Christian Daehn.
Static resource caching on chiliproject.org and other installations (Feature #320)
I'm attaching relevant section of my installation's Apache configuration of vhost. I have also enabled compression for text data (html, js, css).
The issue was also discussed in #chiliproject, the log is here:
For testing, HttpFox can be used, it shows all requests made by Firefox and the response results (200, 304, cached). I have enabled these optimizations on http://infdot.com/redmine and it also seems that http://redmine.org has also enabled similar caching.