ChiliProject is not maintained anymore. Please be advised that there will be no more updates.
We do not recommend that you setup new ChiliProject instances and we urge all existing users to migrate their data to a maintained system, e.g. Redmine. We will provide a migration script later. In the meantime, you can use the instructions by Christian Daehn.
Installation procedure and plugin infrastructure is too complex (Feature #905)
Even though the documentation of chiliproject (and/or redmine) is excellent, the installation takes too much time for non-ruby experts.I went through the following process:
- Installed redmine packages on ubuntu 10.10 (worked fine) (1h)
- Played with the application, love it, missing a hierarchical issue list, and/or scrum stuff, looking for plugins. (2h)
- Tried to install redmine:backlogs, failed because ubuntu package is too old (2h)
- Found chiliproject and switched to it (curious to see the difference) (3h)
- Tried to install redmine:backlogs again, failed due to missing gems (1h)
- Tried bundle install, failed bec. it now requires newer version of rubygems (1h)
- gem update not supported for debian based system, forced it, mess (2h)
- reinstalled rubygems, updated bundle, less of a mess but still not working (time to get some sleep)
At that point, I saw an excellent piece of software, but one of the huge advantages, the possibility to use plugins is not available for me. I see that this is not a problem of chiliproject per se, but of the combination of ubuntu, ruby, gem versions, debian version gem packages and the plugin, but the result is all the same that I failed to setup the system with the first plugin I wanted to add and that after spending something like now 10 hours.
For a ruby developer, all of my problems are probably not a big deal, for someone who is agnostic about ruby, it's extremely frustrating. The application itself can be set up in 1-2hrs, the app with one plugin not at all (in a day).
I don't know what the proper technical or organizational solution for this problem would be, but the project would hugely benefit from an installer package or maybe a more restrictive plugin infrastructure.
Whilst I can understand the problems your describing, I followed the guide on the backlogs site for installation, for both Redmine and ChiliProject. The biggest problem I had was when different plugins need different gem versions (we are using bundle to manage them).
In those cases I had to make some intelligent guesses about which versions to use, the only time I had to tweak ChiliProject's Gemfile was for rubytree to install redmine_better_gantt_chart. Although I will say I didn't try do it the other way round (downgrading the plugin's version)
-gem "rubytree", "~> 0.5.2", :require => 'tree'
+gem "rubytree", "0.7.0", :require => 'tree'