ChiliProject is not maintained anymore. Please be advised that there will be no more updates.
We do not recommend that you setup new ChiliProject instances and we urge all existing users to migrate their data to a maintained system, e.g. Redmine. We will provide a migration script later. In the meantime, you can use the instructions by Christian Daehn.
Change "version" to "milestone" (or make dynamic) (Feature #683)
I've been a Redmine user for years and have been frustrated by the lack of forward motion, so I'm really glad to have discovered ChiliProject.
Anyway, one thing that has always bugged me is the hard-coded term "version" in roadmap/issues. I believe the term "milestone" would be much more sensible, as a version release can be milestone, but other milestones, like "design mockups complete" or "contract signed" don't make any sense to be called a "version".
Teams that I've worked on using Redmine pretty much always just tell everyone "ignore the word version; it's a milestone" anyway.
For extra make-everyone-happy, this could be a config setting, so people could call it whatever the heck they want.
There's only one smallish problem with that: the same string is used on the wiki diff page to show what version of the page you're on. Should we make that an extra string (like "wiki_version") so that it doesn't depend on anything else, or make it the same as a revision, but that sounds funny in english, orâ€¦?
-1 I don't like the idea of renaming the "version" string at all. This was discussed a few years ago (link) and milestones has exactly the same problem: it's definition is dependent on who is using it. Unless the underlying system is renamed too I don't want to change the name in the user interface. We already such a vocabulary disconnect with the boards module: it's called boards or forums and has messages or topics or replies...
If you want to rename the translations in the user interface I created a plugin for this. Just install it and follow the readme and it will override the main strings: https://github.com/edavis10/redmine_language_change
The UI string is really all I care about, so I'll try the translation plugin. Thanks for that. If there's a deep reason to not refactor the string in code, that's fair enough.
For argument's sake (and yes, I realize this has all been said before in the linked thread) I still believe that "milestone" is a better generic term. In a nutshell: the term "version" assumes that you're using ChiliProject for software projects. The term makes little sense in any other type of project, like building a house or rearranging a warehouse. But since ChiliProject probably is used for software most of the time, it may not matter that much to most users.
I understand Eric's perspective, but I think this is mostly about the ability to configure the user interface string.
The point about renaming the translation string is simply because the wiki module depends on the same string, but it not necessarily the same purpose/context.
I would also agree that "milestone" is more general/applicable than "version", but that's not the point - we just need the ability to easily change it. (As an example, even in a software context people might prefer to use the term "sprint" or "iteration" or "release")
I am unsure, but I think it is not only a question of the naming. From my perspective the version and milestone can be even two independent identities. For example there are versions for linux distrubutions, ruby, ... and each version has again milestones for feature freeze and so on. So I think each version has the same amount of milestones. Depending on the product each version can have milestones as feature freeze, api freeze and so on. So maybe it should be an extra enty or something like an tailing string to the version, like version 6.4.1:spec_freeze
I have installed the translation plugin from comment 4 and it works perfectly. Anyone who cares about the use of this terminology in the UI should give it a try. My UI now refers to "milestones" in all forms and roadmap pages; the word "version" doesn't show up anywhere. Unless, of course, I create a milestone called "Version 1.3" ;p.
Problem solved, as far as I'm concerned. Thanks!